Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Joy.

Psalm 23

A David Psalm
1-3 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
you find me quiet pools to drink from.
True to your word,
you let me catch my breath
and send me in the right direction.

4 Even when the way goes through
Death Valley,
I'm not afraid
when you walk at my side.
Your trusty shepherd's crook
makes me feel secure.

5 You serve me a six-course dinner
right in front of my enemies.
You revive my drooping head;
my cup brims with blessing.

6 Your beauty and love chase after me
every day of my life.
I'm back home in the house of God
for the rest of my life.



This passage is often read at funerals. Many times before, I've looked at it and/or read it and felt, in a way, sad. It made me think of death more than life. I don't know, probably something about Death Valley? And in those days, at that time, it was easier to cling to the sad instead of cling to the joy.

The ironic thing is that this passage, though very common, has been one of those Life passages for me...following me around, sneaking up on me when I least expect it, given to me by random persons who asked God for a word of encouragement for me, and even spoken into my heart in the middle of the night by God Himself. Ever woken up to that? It's a sweet treat to a nursing-in-the-middle-of-the-night mama. The stillness of midnight, the cuddle of a 20 pound silky-skinned babe (who smells amazing by the way), and a tender conversation with God. Let me tell you, it makes getting up three times a night worth it. Especially when...

...you get to this point where the Death Valley isn't so sad anymore. Because instead of spending time in Death Valley...

you spend time in the House of God.

And instead of pessimism, you embrace Hope. In exchange for unforgiveness, you receive Grace. And instead of sadness, you taste Joy. Sounds kinda like Christmas, doesn't it? Perhaps like a baby boy in a manger? Yes, sounds a lot like Jesus. Little (or a lot) did the David of this Psalm know that this baby boy, who exchanged death for life and sadness for joy, would come through his bloodline...that the God of the Universe would place the Redemption of mankind in his family. Maybe this is why David is called "A man after God's own heart"...because he possessed something that God valued. A heart that pulsed, that breathed, and that felt the very heartbeat of his Creator. He was passionate, he was gut-wrenchingly honest, and he fell way short of perfect. Yet, God chose his lineage to birth a Savior. Perhaps the same could happen with me and you? I think so. In fact, I know so. It is the very experience that I am currently going through. It is the Christ-in-me that is being birthed...that's this Love I'm talking about. And, yup, I've gone overboard. Overflowin' in the good stuff. And this is just the beginning...

There is still a lot more to come.


You know how I know?


Cause there are still a lot of dreams to dream...and a lot of promises to be fulfilled.


And I'm waiting to see my God show up.


Not because I'm testing Him.


But because I now excitedly wait to see how He will love me, to see how He will show up for me, and to see how He will provide for me.


Joy. It's definitely the good stuff. Cheers!


(corresponding song: Stole my Heart by Little and Ashley)




3 comments:

  1. I've just elected myself President of your fan club! Love you, sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever read "Traveling Light" by Max Lucado? He disects Psalm 23, and I love it!! It has been one of my favorite passages of scripture since!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...