Monday, January 23, 2012

Full.

We had a storm last night.  A tornado warning, in fact.  Usually the hubs and I are not great about waking up to thunderstorms, but this one had us on alert.  David had been watching the weather channel throughout the evening, and we were prepared for probably having to wake up in the wee hours of the morning to keep an eye on things.  We both woke up around 1:30am and decided it was time to get Ella out of her crib and to head downstairs.

The wind was intensifying quickly.

I love blizzards (as long as I don't have to go anywhere), I enjoy a good thunderstorm, and I even enjoy the drama of hail or sleet, but tornadoes--don't particularly like 'em.

Perhaps it's the unpredictable and uncontrollable nature of those beastly storms (or in this case--storm warnings) that keep me on my toes.  All I know to do during tornado warnings is pray.

And, just perhaps, that is the point.

We sat downstairs cuddled up in a blanket, Ella resting deep into the coziness of her Daddy's chest.  And before we knew it, it had passed.  For us, there was no destruction and no damage--just the reality that life can be a fleeting moment.

We headed back upstairs in an attempt to fall asleep.  Within an hour, David had conked out.  I could see Ella's eyes open in her video monitor but she was lying as still as can be--resting even though awake.  My mind was reeling, in a good way.  I was pondering and praying and sweetly exchanging conversation with God.  So many ideas and thoughts and purposes kept being deposited into my spirit.  I knew I had to write them down.

I didn't want to forget.

So, I got out of bed and made some waffles (I'm pregnant, remember?). I cuddled up with a hot cup of tea, and I made my spirit available to be with Him.

And He met me.

I realize that some people may be somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of God being intimate.  And yet, the Bible is full of stories where God so beautifully and romantically met people exactly where there were.  Full of heartbreak.  Full of joy.  Full of questions.  Concerns.  Dreams. Plans.

Last week was one of those weeks for me.  God kept speaking to me in the night.  Dream after dream.  He was tuning my ear to hear Him, He was answering questions I had, He was speaking to the 5 year old me.  Re-opening wells where drought had set it.  Lovingly whispering to the deepest parts of my soul, reminding me of who He is, and who I am.  Reminding me of my destiny.

Last night continued the journey.  He poured out ideas and purpose and confidence.  He filled my cup---to overflowing.  The secrets I had been searching for...well, He provided the treasure map.  And it wasn't only for me, it was for anyone who was hungry.  Who was humble.  Who was willing to take steps forward--no matter the brokenness or the pain or the hindrances at hand.  It was for the people who had been waiting for answers.

And in that moment, so many life challenges became so very fruitful.  The days spent in Egypt have already started to grow strangely dim. As I have learned to open wide my mouth,  He has indeed been filling it with good things (Psalm 81:10).  We never suffer in vain.  God does not waste  hurt--instead He pays us back 7 fold.  And as we submit whatever we are to Him, whatever strengths and whatever weaknesses, He meets us.  And our destiny unfolds.

I was driving home from a sweet lunch date with my huh-knee today.  I picked him up at the Lifeway store on the corner of Broadway.  You know the place.  I sat and waited for him to meet me.  He came out to the car, gave us each a kiss--and we proceeded to eat big burgers for lunch.  In case you need reminding, read HERE.  On my way home, my mouth and belly full of good things, I realized I was following a Buick Rendezvous.  As soon as I noticed it, I immediately thought of Ronald Reagan's quote which is in the stockpile of notecards for my book in progress: "You and I have a rendezvous with destiny."  In the matter of two seconds, a white truck passed us by with a license plate full of Hope.  The first two numbers?

44.



"For it was I, the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt.  Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things." Psalm 81:10


"Taste and see that the Lord is good; His love endures forever." Psalm 34:8





I would love to hear how you are rendezvous-ing with destiny.....








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...