Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dream.

I was a little girl alone in my little world who dreamed of a little home for me.
I played pretend between the trees, and fed my houseguests bark and leaves, and laughed in my pretty bed of green. 



I woke early this morning, the house is still dark.  All are asleep.  And I as I woke, I remembered my dream.  And as I thought of this dream, I heard this song.  In my life, dreams mean something.  They aren't only a psychological manifestation of my feelings, but they are one of my love languages from God.  A kiss if you will.  A nudging to help me see my current process or what may be to come.  God spoke to many in the Bible through the power of dreams, and through them many were saved from death and turmoil.  And, in my life, He's proven to do the same over and over again.  So, each night, as I lay my head down to sleep, I wonder what adventure awaits me.


I had a dream
That I could fly from the highest swing.
I had a dream. 





In my dream, I was sitting across from my Dad in the parking lot of my high school.  We were having a picnic.  I looked down at my pink styrofoam plate, and on it was the juiciest, most fresh burger of all time with an array of fresh garden vegetables adorning it.  Sprinkled on the side was a salad, green as could be.  And covering the plate was homemade, bright orange mac and cheese.  I mean, could lunch get any better?  My dad looked at me and explained that there were two new burger joints opening at each entrance to my school.  I was almost confused, but he told me again even though it felt like He'd said it plenty times before.


Long walks in the dark through woods grown behind the park, I asked God who I'm supposed to be.
The stars smiled down on me, God answered in silent reverie. I said a prayer and fell asleep. 



In real life, I had been praying for some new "food".  In my pantry, yes, the recipes were getting old.  We ate the same dinners and were getting bored.  But even more so, in my spiritual life.  It's that point you get to when you say, "Ok, God, I'm ready to take the next step.  This stuff just ain't cuttin' it anymore.  I need to go deeper."  Sometimes He draws this part out for awhile; it feeds our hunger, it woos us closer, it challenges our belief systems.  And most of the time we tend to whine like the Israelites in the desert. "Ohhhhh God, this is so horrible. I'm so hungry. Don't you see I'm dying here?"  All the while, in our dramatic attempt to get His attention, He looks down and smiles.  And I hear this: " I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died.  But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die.  I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” John 6:48-51



I had a dream
That I could fly from the highest tree.
I had a dream. 



And as I hear this, I think of my burger.  It was the most exquisite burger of all time.  Now, some may say it's sac-religious to compare Jesus to a burger.  However, I don't think so.  I think as my Dad, my Father if you will, bent down to eat a burger with me, that He knew exactly what He was doing.  Burgers are my favorite food ever.  If I only had one food to eat the rest of my life, it would be a burger.  And God said, "Exactly."  So we feasted and we ate, in remembrance of Him...who would pour out His life for all...to live and not die.



Now I'm old and feeling grey. I don't know what's left to say about this life I'm willing to leave.
I lived it full and I lived it well, there's many tales I've lived to tell. I'm ready now, I'm ready now, I'm ready now to fly from the highest wing. 




I had a dream







(corresponding song: Dream by Priscilla Ann)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...