Thursday, December 16, 2010

One dress for 31 days.

So, I have this friend from college, Amy, who has decided to wear one dress for 6 months.  Yes!  No, she is not crazy...she is fun!  She was inspired to do something that would reduce over-consumerism, be a fashion challenge and also a fundraiser.  So, she partnered with The Uniform Project to challenge women to think more deeply about beauty outside of a buy this, buy that, buy this kind of world while also raising awareness to a cause she is passionate about.  Any donations she receives from her dress days, she's giving to The Daughter Project, a safe place for girls who have been victimized by sex trafficking in her local area.  All the while, wearing one dress, with accessories that are only borrowed or already owned by herself.  To see some of her progress, check out her blog.

Amy thought it'd be supportive to have six friends come alongside her, one month at a time during her journey of the one dress.  So, here I am!

My version of the one dress will be slightly different...though similar.  I decided that during my 31 days with her, I want to learn more about women in history; hence dress=woman.  So, during each of my days, I'm choosing one feisty, adventurous woman of the past or present to gleen wisdom from, adventure with, and know more personally.  However, I don't want to disclude donations if anyone wants to do so.  In the event that any of you would like to support this adventure in a financial way, I will point you in the direction of The Daughter Project.

With that, here are the women I've got jotted down to study.  One a day.  If you have any more ideas for women you have looked up to or you think are interesting, let me know! My list is not necessarily definite.  I look forward to sharing some of my learnings with you!

Amelia Earhart
Betsy Ross
Nancy Reagan
Pocahontas
Nefertiti
Queen Elizabeth
Tina Fey
Megyn Kelly
Rosa Parks
Jackie Onassis
Meryl Streep
Erma Bombeck
Abigail Adams
Lucille Ball
Susan B. Anthony
Clara Barton
Nellie Bly
Lydia Maria Child
Shirley Chisholm
Jacqueline Cochran
Joan Ganz Cooney
Donna de Varona
Sarah
Esther
Geraldine Ferraro
Anne Hutchinson
Helen Hayes
Sally Ride
Rosalyn S. Yalow
Sacagewea
Ella Fitzgerald
Kathryn Kuhlman

P.S. Here is my dress.  Yes, I'll be wearing layers. I'll post more pictures as the days go by...



(corresponding song: Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benatar)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...