Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Just Say No to Sunburn!

Ella and I have had some what of an exhausting few weeks. The early sunshine this spring is not only wonderful, but it is also somewhat difficult to manage. Or, rather, it makes my toddler somewhat difficult to manage. Ella would play outside all day long if I let her.  And, hence, this has initiated some very long afternoons for us the past few weeks.

The other day, we were enjoying our morning outside. She ran ran ran. I sat on padded patio furniture with my feet propped up and soaked up her enthusiasm.  But then, I could start to feel the sun scorching my skin just a little bit. I realized that we had been outside for an adequate amount of time, and I didn't want either of us to get sun-burnt. Needless to say, it was time for a bath and lunch, so that she could then nap really well from all her running.

And then it started.

"Ella..."

(She tries to then hide behind the shed).

"Ella....it's time for us to go inside now."

(I hear something similar to a grunt).

"Ella, please listen to Mama. I don't want you to get sun-burnt."

(Toddler screammmm.....)

Bringing Ella inside after she has been enjoying her freedom in the back yard is one of the hardest times of this pregnant lady's day. She rarely is ready to come back inside.  It usually ends up with her saying something like "Omma--mine! Omma--mine!" This means "Hey Mom. I was playing back here--this yard is mine doncha know!"

I try to let her know that I hear her. "I know, Ella. It's frustrating when you want to stay outside, but it's best for us to go inside now."

I love when God teaches me a parenting lesson through my girl. Children are such gifts from God for many, many reasons.

In fact, it was just a few days ago that I was sharing with a friend about how children are the highways to holiness in our lives--if we let them be.  Ella is always teaching me something. If it's good behavior, I have this moment of delicious grace...like "Wow. I helped make her? Thanks, God." And when it's not so good behavior, I have a different kind of delicious grace...like "Wow. I still do that? Time to re-evaluate. Thanks, God."

I've been thinking a lot about perspective lately.  It's so often that when things don't go what seems like "my way", it's easy to get a bit frustrated. It's natural to be disappointed at first; it's a human emotion.  And yet, if I just give myself a few minutes to look up to God and to release the frustration, I see that nothing is really worth long-term disappointment. That's just not who God is.  He's always looking to turn a situation into something good. I just need to have my glasses on, so I can enjoy the process.

I've been the toddler outside playing in my grass many a time. "I don't want to come inside! I'm playing outside! I'm having fun. Leave me alone!" And yet, inside is where the heart changes.  If inside isn't taken care of than outside is really not nearly as fun as it could be.

And isn't it ironic that it's Holy Week? It's a chance to look at our places of suffering. Where we may have been wounded, or exhausted, or used, or beaten. It's a chance to come inside and to find rest. To receive nourishment.  Nothing happens by coincidence.  My pet peeves or frustrations or unfortunate happenings of today are only a result of a unresolved wounding from the past.  God isn't punishing us by bringing those things up--again. He's inviting us join Him there.  It's not until we truly embrace where He walked--suffering, abandoned, rejected, exhausted--that those old patterns can finally die. It opens us up to new life.


Because on Sunday, we will rise with Him.

After we do so, we have a much better opportunity to play outside again all evening--with no threat of sunburn. We can catch lightning bugs; we have no fear of the dark. We relish in the sound of crickets chirping and that sweet evening humidity.

Children. They are God's great gift to us. Thank you, God, for allowing me to see the beauty in myself multiplied in a tangible way.  And, thank you, for allowing me the opportunity to see the broken parts of me made whole--as you parent us while we parent them.

(And thanks for the Easter baskets full of treats to celebrate! No toddler needs to eat all that candy alone.........)






1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...