Saturday, April 28, 2012

Pulling Out the Goodness.

One of the best ways to thwart offense is looking for the good.

It doesn't mean you don't deal with what offended you. It just means that at some point, you can move on.  And by moving on, I mean more than moving on, I mean restoring the breach.

A few months ago, I started on a proactive journey to forgive.  Apparently, God gave me the clue to do so in advance--because what was coming was going to be a challenge.  In all reality, it was really kind of Him.  He's always handing me treasure maps.

It's not like forgiveness is anything new.  I've had the opportunity to forgive (and be forgiven) many times in my life--but this time, it felt more definitive.  There was an actual shift taking place in my thinking before I got hurt or offended.

It was changing my every day existence; it was healing my DNA at it's core.  I can no longer respond to what happens to me, I have already responded. I've chosen to forgive.  I can no longer be on the defense. By forgiving, I'm on the offense.

Interesting thought, isn't it?

How often we are on the defense? Reacting to what happens to us. Instead of it reacting to us.

In all reality, we have the opportunity to live from a place where we can score some points instead of being preoccupied with keeping the other team from scoring.

I'm shifting.

And it's so very freeing.  It's almost like flying.  It's moments like this when I realize that the Gospel is way better than I've even known.  It really, truly is Good News. This is how Jesus lives...all the time.  No wonder He is able to love so well. No wonder He was able to die that death.

He was focused on pulling out the Goodness in us. He saw our worth from the very Beginning.

I have this thing. I hate "worship" songs that claim that we are unworthy sinners. Sinners we were, yes.  Unworthy? No way.  Would you ever tell the child that you created in your womb that he or she is unworthy of love? That he is filthy? That he is undeserving of love? No way.

Do you teach a child who he or she is by labeling them by their faults? A child might exude bad behavior, but surely a child is not bad. Or unworthy. Or undeserving of love.  You don't go around calling that child a loser, or a misfit, or a bad boy (or rather, you shouldn't).  Instead, you call out the Life in him.  "I know you're a really good boy.  This behavior isn't a good idea. It's unsafe, it's not kind.  It results in consequences like time out. But, you, I know you are kind.  I know you love making good choices--because good choices result in a lot of fun!"

Unfortunately, we often posture ourselves before God from the place of insecurity.  Begging Him to love us and accept us. We've believed that we equal our behavior. We've believed a lie.  We then berate ourselves into constantly trying to please Him; thinking that if we do one thing wrong, we obviously deserve the punishment. We look at hard circumstances in our lives as justified.  We deserve this. Not only do we often posture ourselves this way, but we then place that same label on everyone else around us.  They deserve that. And you know what?

It makes it impossible to forgive ourselves and each other.

Everyone has a story.  Each person has a reason why he or she is the way that they are.  Our goal isn't to brand someone's identity because they might have a hard time believing who they were created to be. Even when they use that insecurity to hurt us.  Our goal is to pull out of them the very essence of their God-given DNA--which is astounding and amazing and wonderful.

We have an extraordinary opportunity to live with purpose.  We can make best friends out of all our enemies.  Perhaps this is what Jesus meant. Love your enemies.

I've been watching this unfold in my life the last few months. I'm learning how to live on the offense instead of on the defense.  It doesn't mean I don't have bad days or days when the other team scores points.  But what it does mean is that my life feels so very much lighter.

I'm not constantly fighting off feelings of bitterness or resentment.  Instead, I'm moving toward how I can play a part in restoring a breach.  Restoring a breach is way more fun. And it's way more rewarding.

It's not always easy---but either is having a baby. In fact, the last few days: my pelvis has been extremely sore, my hands and feet are starting to retain water, and I go to the bathroom every 5 minutes.  Not exactly convenient.  Not to mention, that in less than two weeks, this human being will come out of my body through a more than painless experience. And then will come nursing every two hours.  And midnight wakings....and poopy diapers.

But you know what? I'd take it in a heartbeat.  I'll take the inconveniences that lead me to Life.

I'll choose to pull the Good out of the situation.

I'll even choose to pull the Good out of the person who tells me I'm leading incorrectly or who judges me or who unintentionally or intentionally hurts me--because in all reality, that isn't bothering me anymore.  My DNA is transforming into forgiveness. Criticism or a negative tongue is a sting of death.  There's no need for me to even acknowledge it. I've already conquered death--because He did.

Now, I'm moving toward my reward. Life.















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...