Monday, November 7, 2011

Doors.

Ella has been playing this game for the past few weeks.  She's really into it, and I'm not exactly sure why because it usually ends up in frustration.  But, alas, she still likes to play.

She runs into her room and tries to shut the door (not all the way closed, but close)...then opens the door...then tries to shut the door...only to have the door actually slam into place.

And then she is stuck in her room.

And she cries.

At this point, I come over to the door and try to open it, only to have her push back on the door and watch it slam again...this time in my face.  Then, get this, she cries again.

So, we end up going through this ritual where I try to explain to her that if she pushes on the door, it will close.  At this point, her sweet little brain doesn't quite get it yet.  Though she loves cause and effect, sometimes she's still not sure about how the effect will turn out.

Sounds like me if you ask me.  As I was working on my book yesterday, I came across a quote from one of my most favorite books called The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.  She so eloquently stated:

"If we learn to think of receiving God's good as being an act of worship--cooperating with God's plan to manifest goodness in our lives--we can begin to let go of having to sabotage ourselves." 

Amen.

When there is an open door, don't go trying to shut it.


One of my biggest pet peeves is false humility.  (I actually dedicated an entire post to it awhile back; if you want to read it, go HERE .)

This idea of false humility loves to dig its claws into people to tame them down.  It says things like "Please don't think you are worth that" and "If you love who you've been made to be, surely you are conceited" and "Who do you think you are?"  It slowly but surely sucks the life out of your passions and dreams and identity, not to mention clouding the goodness of God,  by carefully sabotaging you into believing that all that He has accomplished for you and in you, when you actually receive it, is prideful.  Wow.  What a jerk.

And, so, we have this horrible malady that faces Christians today encouraging them not to receive.  To push the door closed instead of letting it open all the way.

And, instead of receiving His goodness, we try to do it ourselves or sabotage ourselves by assuming that we are not worthy of it.


Fortunately, we are worthy because He made us so.  This does not promote pride, it promotes acceptance.  It teaches us our true identity as children.  And, unfortunately, not receiving does not makes us better off, it just makes us orphans.

All while He died to adopt us.

I'll never forget our last trip to NYC in May.  It was full of inspiration and enjoyment because David and I are in love with The Big Apple.  I remember walking down 44th Street (yes, 44!) on our way to dinner one night.  It just so happened that as we were walking, I noticed that we were strolling past the stage doors to several different Broadway productions.

And I have this thing about Broadway.

God has spoken to me about it ever since I was a little girl, and I get flutters in my belly when I even think about it.  The first Broadway show I went to, God's presence became so real to me that I sat there weeping as the curtain opened.  And, so, it has become one of my "signs" that God has asked me to believe for.  How or when, I have no idea.  I could be wearing granny pannies by the time it fully manifests for all I know. I don't even have the "training" for such a thing, but no matter, He has asked me to believe. And not because I can do it in and of myself, but because He can. And He'd like to show me His goodness. So, as I walked down 44th Street, I saw a Broadway stage door and decided to take a picture.  Here's what it said:




So, I stood there, and I chose to say no to unbelief ---and instead chose to receive.

A few weeks ago, I met my huh-knee for dinner in downtown Nashville.  He told me to take some time for myself and drive his car home and that he would take Ella home.  So, I hopped in his car and decided to give myself a few minutes to breathe.  Just as I was pulling out of the parking lot of Lifeway,  George Michael's song "Faith" came on.  Two seconds later, I hit a red light.  When I looked up, all I could see was the huge road sign in front of me that said "Broadway".

And all I heard was a still small voice say: "Receive."


See what I mean? He has me in a corner. I have no other choice but to believe. I sat there was for the longest red life of my light, just staring at that road sign because of course there was a "No Right Turn on Red" sign next to it.

No more blocking doors.  No more sabotaging myself with unbelief or false humility.  It's time to let the door swing wide open, receiving Him for who He says He is and for what He has done.

So, now I get to ask you! What are YOU believing for? Or what do you want to believe for? I would love to know. Really! Just leave a comment below or send me a message. I want to celebrate with you as He makes your dreams come true...as you receive the goodness of what He has to offer...


2 comments:

  1. LOVE this post! It is amazing how God woos us in different ways...so fun to hear about your Broadway call! :) :) and I love the pic of the Broadway doors!

    You asked what am I believing God for? Well a few things...a bigger home that has lots of room to entertain and be a place where my kids want to bring friends and where friends want to be. And that Nicks family would come to know Jesus... and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is wonderful.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...