Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Celebration.

We did most of our Thanksgiving grocery shopping this weekend, so we've had very full cupboards and countertops the last few days.  Every time I attempt to put something in the pantry, it just screams "bounty".  There is so much in which to be thankful.

I find that so often in my own heart, it is extremely easy to remember all that I am not thankful for.  This trial or that life circumstance--or this thing over here that I want to fix--or that person over there that I want to change.  It's in front of us all the time.

All kinds of things for us to be upset over.

There is definitely a time for releasing anger appropriately or crying out for justice or seeing a need that could use fulfillment--but so much more is there time to receive what has been given freely and to embrace difficult seasons with the same joy as those where everything seems to fall into place.

I tend to be more on the "feeler" side of the Myers Brigg's scale, which means I lean more into emotions and the sensational scope of life.  I still do "think", and I think often.  But I often start to think as a result of what I feel---as do a lot of women.  I don't find this as a bad thing necessarily.  In fact, I think it is where many women find compassion, and nuture, and strength.  And, yet, with any personality trait, there often are weaknesses.

I find one of my weaknesses is "feeling" so much of what is within me and around me that sometimes I can cease to be thankful.  It's a rough world out there, and there is a lot that needs changed and nurtured; there are a lot of people who need cared for.  Heck, it would seem that we all could use a little more nurturing and caring for.  But really, it all starts with learning how to receive the nurture and care we have already been Given.

Hence why I love Thanksgiving and Christmas so much.  It's such a beautiful season to remember all that we have to be thankful for, and in doing so, we usher in a season where the King is born unto us.  This happened not only in reality, but it happens in my heart year after year.  And it also happens every time I choose to receive what I've been given and be thankful for it--not necessarily in a robotic way--but just in an "eyes open" kind of way.  My prayer recently hasn't been as much for this to happen or for that to happen, but it's been much more along the lines of "Let me see what You are doing."

It's been a big transition for me when I am reminded to think this way.  When I change my perspective, everything else changes.  Trials actually become friends.  They become gifts that bring me to a deeper sense of gratitude, a more compassionate place for myself and for other people, and a greater appreciation for what I have been given.  They are almost like a winning hand at cards--if I ask to see what He is doing through them.

If I don't ask what He's doing, I often become a self-centered, whiny, victim.  I throw gratitude out the window and leave no room for any sort of resolution.  Because He is so graceful, He often still brings resolution--but it is much more rewarding when I get to participate with the process.  Not to mention, I spend way less time striving and way more time just cooperating.

So, this Thanksgiving, I am asking to be enlightened--so that I can be overflowingly thankful in return.  I'm asking to see what He is doing in my life, not only individually, but also in my family and my extended family, my church family and my friends.  As I do this, I see bitterness flee and frustration fade.  I receive and then give thanks.

And, then I watch as Christmas is ushered in.  The thankfulness makes room in my heart for a miraculous gift who comes in the form of a babe in a manger.  Again, possibly not the way He would have expected or chosen, but He knew what God was up to.  "Your Kingdom Come, Your Will be Done". It's in those places of trial and humility where Greatness is born.

And it's why we CELEBRATE!

May you be abundantly aware of all you have been given this Thanksgiving--no matter what form it takes shape!













No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...