Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Birthday, Howie!

(He's the one up top.)









Two years ago tomorrow, a little ball of white and sienna fur was born. Firstborn of a litter of 12, he graced Belle and Bear as proud parents of their first baby boy. It was about 2 weeks later when I got to hold this little hamster-seized puppy in my hands. He was the first one the breeder brought out, and I was in love. Even though I gushed over the 11 others she let me me hold, that first one...he had me at hello.

And so, four weeks later, we got to bring him home. He was at least 3 times the size of when we first met him. And, oh, so fluffy. I still remember my nose on his fur, the way he smelled like wood shavings from his little crate.

Then, we had the joy of crate training, potty training (not too bad actually!), and puppy training (um, we're still workin' on it). We got accustomed to saying "no bite!" as he eagerly held tight to the cuff of my pant leg or the arm of my sweatshirt. Then, as he got bigger, it turned into "no digging!" which was typically followed up by wiping muddy paws as he came in the back door. Oh, and then of course there was/is "Down!" as he most excitedly greets anyone who comes to visit.

But more importantly there is, "Good boy, Howie!" when he sits perked up at attention (his booty coming up off the ground slightly then back down, then up, then down) as he waits for us to walk in from our day of work, his tail waggin', and his big ole mouth smiling. Or there is "Gooooooood boy, Howie!" when he makes a ferocious bark at a passerby who he thinks is gonna cause trouble. And of course there's my favorite, "You're my Howie boy" when he leans his 130 pound body against my legs, and I bend down and give him a big bear hug around the neck.

He is our birthday boy, our "Noble Watchman", Ella's best buddy, and our neighborhood's favorite dog. He is our Howie. Happy Birthday, Bud!


(corresponding song: The Birthday Song by Happy Birthday Songs)

2 comments:

  1. love it Sarah! Happy birthday Howie!
    Love, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is precious Sarah! I can't wait to celebrate my little baby's first birthday! :)

    ~Jessica Robey

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...