Monday, January 17, 2011

Just The Way You Are.

January 15th marked the last day of my One Dress month with Amy.  Four more months to go, and she's got at least four more friends to join her.  You can do it, Ame!

As my last few days came around, I started to think a lot about my journey this past month.  I didn't get to study all the women that I listed.  There were a few (Sarah obviously) who really got my attention, and so one day with her just didn't cut it.  I needed more time.  And, so, I still have many women left that I would love to learn from and experience life with.

But over the course of my 30 days, one theme kept ringing in my ear.  "Today you are You, that is truer than true.  There is no one alive who is Youer than You." Thank you, Dr. Suess.

That, combined with Ella's current favorite Veggie Tales video, Snooder-ella, brought a beautiful conclusion to my month.  Snooderella is the youngest of her sisters, dawned with braces, glasses, and crazy hair.  One night she's visited by her fairy godmother, who helps get her ready for the ball.  This transformation changes Snooderella on the outside and gave her confidence to dance the night away at the ball.  The catch, though, was that at midnight, her new look would disappear; she would be left as the original Snooderella she was.  As the clock strikes twelve and her looks pass away, in walks the King.

Snooderella looks at him with sadness as she realizes her looks truly made her feel no different, and their conversation goes something like this:


King: Excuse me young lady, if I might, with permission, of course, have the last dance tonight?

Snooderella: With me? You must be mistaken, I'm an awfully poor choice.

King: Who told you you're awful? How do you know?

Snooderella: Can't you see for yourself? The whole world tells me so.

King: Would you like to my child, hear what I think instead?

I think you're beautiful.
I treasure you deeply, you're lovely my child.
I think you're beautiful,
your hair and your braces,
your glasses, your clothes,
and your cumbersome graces.
And many more traits which I could speak of.
There's nothing about you that I don't truly love.
You're kind and you're honest and funny and smart.
You're really quite charming; you have a good heart."

Snooderella: You're majesty, she replied with a tear, I'd like to believe you, is that really true?

King: Of course it is true, every word that I say.
Daughter, I am the King, and I made you this way.
I delight in your beauty, you're wonderfully made.
I knew you before the foundations were laid.
You're precious to me, every hair on your head.
Daughter, hear and believe.

And so, with the confirmation of the King, Snooderella's demeanor changes.  She no longer looks upon herself with self-pity and as the unloved.

As I've worn the "dress", I've slipped into many a Snooderella's tale.  Whether it be through the Daughter Project, through the mall where pre-teens abound, through the line of ladies at Starbucks, through the life of celebrities, through the life of my Ella, and through the life of myself.

It seems as though we could all use a Dance with the King every once in awhile.

A reminder of the Truth.

As I was writing this blog, images of beautiful women I know kept popping into my head.  Women who I love, just the way they are.  And, I thought to myself, "What if wearing a dress for one month was simply about seeing the beauty of these women? The beauty of all women...just the way they are."

So, breathe these faces in.  These women, whom I have come to love, just because they're them.








































I love you all (and then some...if I only had time to download a picture of every single one of my friends!).

(corresponding song: Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars)

4 comments:

  1. Aww love you too girl...I was just thinking today about how I miss our girls bible study we had my last year in BG. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sweet and beautiful blog...thanks for the uplift in my spirit! I love you too, just the way you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, you have blessed me completely today! I am so tickled to know you feel the same way about me as I do about you! You are so wonderfully you and I love you. I truly do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, such a precious Blog. I am so blessed. You are a blessing to many and David and Ella are truely blessed to have you too. Thank you for making me smile. Love ya, Donna

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...