Friday, October 7, 2011

Ode to the Dragonfly.

Funny story.

David happened to take Ella outside to play the other evening.  As he opened our screen door, in flew what I can only describe as a dragonfly.  It was big, and it was buzzing loudly.  I let our new little buddy fly around inside for awhile, but when David came back in, I pointed to it and kindly asked him to "take care of it".

Just as a little boy capturing a bug would,  he immediately replied, "This is what my Grandma would always do!" He quickly grabbed a cup and a sturdy motivational mail flyer about starting your own business, and it was go time.  He trapped the dragonfly between the window and the cup.  I could hear the dragonfly's poor buzzing increase and could also hear his head hitting the inside of the cup.  I'm sure he could only be thinking "Get me out of here!!!!"  Soon after, David slipped the sturdy flyer in between the cup and the window.

And then he started to walk the dragonfly and his temporary holding place out the backdoor.

As he walked the little bug out, I could still hear his buzzing and his head hitting the tupperware cup.  "You realize he is terrified right now, don't you?  And he has no idea that he's about to be set free!"

Wow. How profound.

Thank you, dragonfly.  You have served me well with a life lesson.  Next time I try to fly inside--thinking for whatever reason that it might be better in there, I will remember this.  And, when things start to close in on me, just like a blue tupperware cup, I will remember.

Sit still.  Don't give yourself a headache trying to desperately to get out of that cup early.  The cup is a only a temporary ride to get to my new destination.  OUTSIDE.

So, here's to you, dragonfly!! Cheers.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...