Monday, September 5, 2011

Spirit to Spirit Parenting: Part 1

So, let's just be honest.  When most of us became parents, we didn't know what the heck we were getting into.  When I gave that final push, I had no idea how my life would change.  At the time, I was thanking the Good Lord that my baby was actually outside of my body after 5 days of labor.  I told myself over and over again how I was gonna go natural and how "I" could do it all by myself, and then somewhere between my water breaking and almost smacking my poor, exhausted husband for asking if I needed anything (women in labor are SCARY), I decided "GIVE ME THAT EPIDURAL!"

Since I have never had a drug of any kind other than tylenol, I immediately fell into that deep, sedated place of "Whoa...this is the kind of rest I've been missing?"  And an hour later, I had dilated 5 centimeters and laughed my baby out (not kidding).

This is kinda like this phenomeon I call living out of your spirit.  It's a lot different than living out of your soul.  You know that place you go round and round again in your daily living and your spiritual life? Like contractions that hurt like a mother and barely dilate your cervix? Yes, that's when your soul's in charge.  It doesn't mean there isn't any progress, it just means that the progress is often more painful than it needs to be and it takes forever.  Not to mention, you go round and round and round.  But, that epidural, well, it took me to a whole different place.  My whole being came into a place a rest.  That needle went right into my Central Nervous System, and I progressed like wildfire.  Not to mention, I was much more pleasant to be around. Just ask David.

Now up to this point, I had been nuturing my spirit. I was learning how to develop and celebrate that unique place of Him in me.  And then, I had a baby.  And I quickly realized that I also got the unique privilege of developing and celebrating that unique place of Him in her, from a much earlier starting point.    Considering she had gone through many a less trials in her short life time here on earth, I figured why not get this party started the right way!

David would read blessings over my womb night after night, calling her spirit to the front, bringing her into a place of great rest and acceptance.  And I would hold my belly, feeling her kick in response to the voice of her Daddy...falling right in line with those blessings and knowing that all was right in her little world.

This took an amount of discipline on our part.  We were better at it some days than we were on other days, still learning what it was like for the two of us to live out of our spirits.  But the longer Ella is around, her spirit most up front and active (let's just say babies learn a lot faster than adults!), it opens our spirits to respond to hers.  And we all end up living more vibrant and fulfilling days.  Is that not one of the most fun things about parenting? The fact that it is a mutual relationship of giving and receiving, making each one of us more whole and alive. I just LOVE that.

And further more, it makes mistakes much more easy to deal with. I know there is no way to be the perfect parent, we will mess up.  But as Ella's spirit grows and is nurtured, our mistakes make less of a dent.  Yes, there is still apologizing and forgiveness involved, but it hurts a lot less when someone does something to wrong you when your spirit is healthy and full.  If you know who you are and Who you belong to, a mistake becomes...well...a mistake and not a lifetime of woundedness to work out and drudge through like a bitter soul entangled in fear and resentment.  Ever heard of the term "No skin off my back?" Yes, exactly.

Now, of course, I've painted a pretty picture above.  And most the time it is, well, pretty.  But there are days when our patience is low and our energy is lacking, and this is not always a "quick fix" to all of life's little trials.  But what I've found is if I take just 10 minutes to quiet myself and allow my spirit to rise above my soul, it is always easier.  And, well, I take that "My yoke is easy and My burden is light" scripture seriously.  And this has helped.  None of my own works.  Just a small step of obedience, allowing His spirit the available space to be first in me, instead of my own will.

And when all of us have our spirits charged up and full, well, family time is just what the doctor ordered.  It's real community and fellowship; it's rich and vibrant, challenging and affirming.  We speak into each other's lives and bring the best out of one another.  Even Howie. ;)

And it works the same way in your marriage, in your workplace, when you get to the window at Starbucks, and when you go about your whole...entire...day.

Some of you have been asking about some practical ways to do this......coming up soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...