Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Books.

I get myself into this silly little mess every so often.  Or more than every so often.

I start reading a great book...only to see another book that catches my eye... and then another book that looks really interesting until I line up all the books that I am "currently" reading, and it looks like this:




Let's just say, I really like to learn. I'm constantly searching out the life stories of various peoples, the joy of a fiction book that whispers directly to my soul, and of course, all the books that teach me how to organize my closet in "3 easy steps". Oy.

One thing that I've learned from all my book reading is for sure:  The more I learn, the less I know.  You know what I mean? Reading is actually quite humbling.  There certainly are a lot of life experiences out there, and a lot of stories where God met people in unexpected and outrageous ways.  Ways that never would have fit into my plan of how things were to "be".

And yet, that's the beauty of reading...and writing...and living.  Each line is a glimpse of history.  Each sentence a melody of words beautifully dancing on a page, flowing out of personal tragedy or triumph  (fiction or not) that each contain the grains and fibers of the life of a human being. History-in-the-making.  Each of us.

It's really quite beautiful.

As I've been in the progressing stages of writing my own book, I've been reading through my journals from years past.  It's really been enlightening.  When you have those thoughts like "I'm really not sure I've been making much progress", go back to your journal from a few years ago.  It'll make you feel better.

A lot better.

Though some of the yearnings and prayers are still similarly themed to those that I have today, I have seen exponential growth.  I have seen victories, both big and small.  And I have been continually peeled back layer by layer like a pungent onion just waiting to decorate a juicy cheeseburger.  And it's delicious, each time another layer comes off, I know that a trip to Five Guys is around the corner.  The process of healing and triumph turns into food for the hungry.  There is something nourishing and satisfying about seeing the life experiences that once held you back become your greatest strength.  And how beautifully redemptive is that?

And so, as I make my way back to the library full of stories and histories to intertwine with, I am extremely grateful for the valuable life of another.  How each of us are connected through a written word, whether about how to recover from grief or how to train your overly enthusiastic St. Bernard.


What good books are you reading?


(corresponding song: New Slang by The Shins)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful writing, and I didn't know you were writing a book, that's cool! I'm not reading anything at the moment which bugs me! I find it hard to know what books to read, there is so much choice! I really love reading people's real life stories too, amazing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...